Child pages
  • Course Registration
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Add or Drop Courses  (Email Drop Policy)

Audit a Course

Concurrent Enrollment at UI Chicago/Springfield or Parkland

Credit/No Credit Grading Option

ENG 310 (Internships/Co-Ops)

Grade Replacement Request


Overload or Underload Request

Prerequisite and Concurrent/Credit Course Enrollment

Transfer Credit

**Back to Main Undergraduate Advising Home Page

Add or Drop Courses Timeline and Policies

The Essentials

  • All Undergraduate Grainger Engineering students have a hold on their account (after the 10th day of classes).
  • Students must use the Add-Drop Portal to make any course schedule change request (after the 10th day of classes).
  • Not all DROP requests will be approved.
  • Make your requests for changes sooner (week 7 of classes) rather than during week 8 (campus drop deadline).
  • If you need approval to ADD a second-half semester class, it is likely because there are no seats available.
  • All requests that need approval from a "Dean" must be brought to 206 Engineering Hall (after all required signatures are obtained).

The Details

Email Sent to all Grainger Engineering Students on January 24, 2020 (please note that some of these links to WIKI websites may have changed since this email was sent)

Dear Engineering Students:

You are responsible for understanding the policies, dates, and deadlines regarding adding, dropping, and repeating classes. 

  • The University of Illinois has a very liberal policy on course drops.  Students may freely drop any unrestricted course up to mid-term as long as they remain full time.  However, there are courses restricted by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Grainger College of Engineering and by its Departments which can only be freely dropped up to the tenth day of class.

All Grainger Engineering students will have a hold placed on their student accounts on the 10th day of classes.

  • To make any class schedule changes before and after this hold is implemented see the Detailed Timeline Table thereafter.
  • February 3 is the College Drop Deadline for all full-semester restricted courses. (star)
  • March 13 is the Campus Drop Deadline for all full-semester unrestricted courses. (star)
  • March 13 is the Campus Deadline to make requests for Grade Replacement for a full-semester course you are currently retaking.
  • March 13 is the Campus Deadline to make requests for CR/NC for a full-semester course you are currently taking.

 (star) Half-semester courses have different deadlines to reflect their reduced length.  The 5th day of the class for the course is the deadline for add and free drop. Mid-point ( last day of the 4th week) is the Campus Deadline. for drop/grade replacement and CR/NC options.

Dropping and adding courses could affect your tuition bill!

  • Deadlines for tuition adjustments are strictly enforced. For full-semester courses, this is the 10th day of classes; for first half semester classes, this is the 5th day of classes.
  • If you have been approved for an underload (e.g. as a graduating senior) and you are changing your class schedule after the adjustment deadline, the University will charge for all attempted classes appearing on your schedule.  This means that if your attempted credit hours totaled 12 or more, including any course dropped after the adjustment deadline, you will be charged full tuition.

Drop requests after the deadlines are NOT automatically granted

  • Not all requests will be approved, and requested changes to restricted courses will require you visit department and/or college advisors for a review.Requests to drop classes after the deadline due to poor academic performance alone will not be approved, because it is explicitly forbidden by the Student Code. Special Extraordinary Circumstances will be taken into account for consideration.



How to change your classes


Feb. 3, 2020

Last day you can use the Enterprise/Self-Service system to change your class schedule (for full-semester courses only).

  • Students should take the schedule selected in consultation with their departmental advisor If students wish to make substantial changes, particularly in technical courses, they should consult their advisor again.
  • Students must be registered for at least 12 hours, except in their final semester.  This ensures that students have full-time status.  Dropping below 12 hours requires the approval of a dean in 206 Engineering Hall. For more details on underload and overload policy, see here.

Feb. 3, 2020 at 11:59PM

A hold is placed on all Grainger Engineering student accounts, preventing schedule changes.

Last day to make any change to schedule without approval.

Feb. 4, 2020


March 13, 2020

at 2:59PM

Use the online add/drop request portal to make any course change requests (adds, drops, section or credit changes).  

Week of March 2 - March 6

(not as busy)

Week of March 9 - March 13

(will be VERY busy)

Not all requested changes will be approved, and will require you visit department and/or college advisors for a review.   See all details HERE

Plan in Advance!

  • The online portal closes at 3:00pm on March 13.
  • Spring Break starts March 14.
  • Avoid very long lines during Week 8 of classes.

NEW Online Advising Available March 10-13, 2020.


After 3pm on March 13, 2020

Must see or contact 206 Engineering Hall advisor. See HERE for more information!

Not all requested changes will be approved. See all details HERE

After March 13Drop requests require a petition. See all details HERE






Full Semester Restricted

College Drop Deadline

Feb. 3, 2020

List of restricted courses is available here.

Full Semester Unrestricted

Campus Drop Deadline

March 13, 2020

Course is not on the list of restricted courses above

Partial Semester Restricted

College Drop Deadline applies to restricted courses

Fifth day of the class term

List of restricted courses is available here.

Partial Semester


Partial Semester Course:

Campus Drop Deadline applies to unrestricted courses

Midpoint of the class term

Course is not on the list of restricted courses above

A course you are currently repeating (or currently taking)

Grade Replacement Request Deadline (or Credit/No-Credit Request Deadline)

Midpoint of the class term

See Grade Replacement or CR/NC links for information, eligibility and request form

Same deadline applies to rescind an approved request.




Undergraduate Programs Office
206 Engineering Hall

Visit the advisors in 206 Engineering Hall (8:30am-11:45am & 1pm-4:30pm Monday through Friday) with any questions about your schedule or college policies.


After the tenth day of classes:

Not all requested changes will be approved.

Enter requests for schedule changes in the add/drop portal (

  • If your request requires approval, you will be asked to PRINT OUT a form:
    • The form will indicate which approvals you need: department, college academic advisor or dean in 206 Engineering Hall, both, or any other approval.
    • It makes the process smoother if you come to 206 Engineering Hall with all completed forms for all requests you made. Make sure to cancel any unwanted request.
  • If your request does not require approval, it will be processed within 2-3 business days. You will also receive an email when your request has been processed (confirmation that 206 EH staff has made the requested change on your schedule) or if there is a problem with your request.

Has your request been processed? Visit UI-Integrate to view your schedule. The Add-Drop Portal keeps track of the list of all requests you made for the current semester, and their current status. We only process schedule changes during business hours.

  • Credit overloads above 18 hours must be approved by a dean in the Undergraduate Programs Office (206 Engineering Hall).  Enrolling in extra courses with the intention of dropping some later is strongly discouraged. Drop requests under these circumstances may be denied after the tenth day of classes. Overload requests for this purpose will not be approved.
  • If you are dropping a course, check co-requisites for courses you are enrolled in. Drop requests of co-requisite courses may require additional documentation and may be denied.
  • If adding a second-half semester class requires approval, it is very likely because it no longer has seats (no need to go to offering department).
  • All Restricted Courses by Grainger Engineering Departments/College cannot be dropped without special review and approval by the department chief advisor/college dean. To drop a restricted course AFTER the tenth day (or to drop any unrestricted class after the mid-term drop deadline), students MUST have extraordinary circumstances beyond their control that directly affected academics (medical or other emergency reasons). 

    • For College-Restricted coursesDrop requires approval from an Academic Advisor or Dean in the Undergraduate Programs Office (206 Engineering Hall).

    • For Department-Restricted courses:  Drop requires approval from the Chief Advisor of the student's home department and an Academic Advisor or Dean in the Undergraduate Programs Office (206 Engineering Hall).

Friday-Campus Drop Deadline for full-semester classes

Not all requested changes will be approved. See Add-Drop Process Details here

Until 2:59 pm on Friday: Enter requests for schedule changes in the add/drop portal (  The advising office in 206 Engineering Hall will be open until 4:30pm to process add/drop portal and in-person requests.

Between 3 pm - 4:30 pm on Friday: visit 206 Engineering Hall.

Between 4:30 pm – 11:59 pm on Friday, Students who would like to request a course drop should send an email from their Illinois email to The email should include the course they are requesting to drop and the 5 digit CRN.  Requests received via email by 11:59pm on Friday will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis using the same criteria as requests made via the add/drop portal or in-person (e.g. is the request for a drop of a restricted course?, will the change put the student at an overload/underload?, etc).

After 11:59 pm on Friday: Students who want to request a course drop after 11:59 pm missed the deadline and should plan to see an advisor in 206 Engineering Hall (Spring Break Hours: Monday – Friday, 10 – noon and 2 – 4 pm; Regular Hours resume on March 23)

After mid-point of the semester/campus drop deadline: 

All drop requests require a petition. Students must visit 206 Eng hall in person.

To drop any class (restricted or not), students MUST have extraordinary circumstance beyond their control that directly affected academics (medical or other emergency reasons) as stated at (part d-2). To petition, students should fill out this Registrar Late Course Change form, then meet with a walk-in advisor in 206 Engineering Hall to discuss their situation - If after discussing, you feel you still want to petition, you will fill out a Late Course Drop Petition, that includes supporting documentation and a narrative. The completed petition must be returned to 206 Engineering Hall by 5 pm on the last day of instruction. 


March 9, 2020 - Communication to Students - Subject: Campus Drop-CR/NC-Grade Replacement Deadline & Online Advising Options
March 13, 2020 is the deadline to drop a full-semester class, as well as to make requests for CR/NC and Grade Replacement for full-semester classes (see We expect the college advising office in 206 Engineering Hall to be very busy March 10-13. Make sure to read about what to expect on March 13 at FridayDeadline.
NOTE: if you ONLY need to add a class (such as a research class, second-half semester class, etc.), or have a simple question (about minors, dual degrees, etc.), you might want to wait for a less busy time after the March 13 drop deadline. We are also open during spring break March 16-20, with reduced advising hours (10am-Noon & 2-4pm).
To minimize wait times, we are experimenting with two options for students to meet with an advisor during business hours this week:
  • Option 1: come in person to 206 Engineering Hall (we are open 8:30am-11:45am & 1-4:30pm). Use this option to meet with our Records Staff (to check graduation requirements etc), to meet the James Scholars advisor, or an academic advisor.
  • Option 2: request an online appointment (8:30-11:30am & 1-4:15pm) to meet with an academic advisor using the instructions below. Please use this option if you are sick.
Instructions for online advising (March 10-13):
  1. GET IN THE QUEUE: Go to to add yourself for online advising. Make sure to use your full name (Preferred Name & Last Name) and to include your NetID.
  2. EXPECT AN EMAIL FROM ENGINEERING@ILLINOIS.EDU: within 5 to 10 minutes, staff will confirm that you are in the 206 EH queue by sending an email to
  3. CONFIGURE ZOOM: Make sure to download and configure ZOOM in advance, so as not to add connection delays. (*)
  4. PREPARE DOCUMENTS: in preparation, please scan or take pictures of documents you have relevant to your advising appointment. We may ask you to email them to us for processing.
  5. EXPECT AN EMAIL FROM AN ADVISOR: An advisor will email you at with instructions and start a ZOOM call with you between 8:30-Noon and 1-4:30pm, as soon as they become available.
The advisor will wait up to 7 minutes from the time they sent you email. If you are no longer available for your online appointment you will lose your time ticket, and be removed from the 206 EH queue. Please note that advisors will see both in-person and online students in the order they are entered in the 206 EH queue.
Tell us what you think (anonymous survey) at 

More Questions?

  • I want to drop a class "with W" after the drop deadline, will my request automatically be approved? 

    • Not necessarily. You must have extenuating circumstances beyond your control that affected your academic performance and are well documented. If your drop request is approved, you will get a 'W' on your transcript.

  • What is a 'W' and how does that affect me?

    •  A 'W' indicates that you registered and subsequently dropped the class and will appear on your transcript. Some professional schools (such as law) will evaluate 'W' grades as failing grades. 

  • I have questions, where do I go?

    • You may either email or come to 206 Engineering Hall. The advising team in the Undergraduate Programs Office handles all academic matters.  We are here to help, guide and assist. We will work with you and help you find solutions.

  • I have been advised to "see a Dean", where do I go?

    • Come to 206 Engineering Hall. The advising team in UPO handles all academic matters for the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs.

Restricted Courses

All Restricted Courses by Grainger Engineering Departments/College cannot be dropped after the tenth* day of classes without special review and approval by the department chief advisor/college dean. To drop a restricted course AFTER the tenth day (or to drop any unrestricted class after the mid-term drop deadline), students MUST have extraordinary circumstances beyond their control that directly affected academics (medical or other emergency reasons). Requests to drop these classes due to poor academic performance alone will not be approved, because it is explicitly forbidden by the Student Code. 

To make a request for approval after the tenth day of classes, use the Add-Drop Portal.

College-Restricted courses - Drop requires approval from a Dean in the Undergraduate Programs Office (206 Engineering Hall)

ENG 100, ENG 300
CHEM 102/103, 104/105, 202/203, 204/205
CS 101, 125
SE 101
MATH 220, 221, 225, 231, 241, 285, 286
PHYS 211, 212, 213*, 214*
RHET 101-105, CMN 111, 112, ESL 111, 112, 115

* Since PHYS 213 is offered in the second half of the term, the drop restriction does not take effect until the second half term deadline. The drop deadline for a restricted first half semester course is the fifth day of classes. See all Campus Deadlines.

Department-Restricted courses - Drop requires approval from the Chief Advisor of the student's home department and an Advisor/Dean in the Undergraduate Programs Office (206 Engineering Hall)

Aerospace Engineering

AE 202, 311, 312, 321, 323, 352, 353, ME 200, TAM 210, 211, 212

Agricultural and Biological Engineering

ABE 141, 223, 224, 225, 226, 341, 430, 469, CHBE 321, TAM 210, 211, 212, 251, 335, ECE 205, 206, ME 200


BIOE 120, 201, 202, 205, 206, 210, 220, 302, 303, 310, 360, 414, 415, 420, 435, 436, 476, CHEM 232, MCB 150

Civil Engineering

CEE 195, 198 (section PBL), 201, 202, TAM 211, 212, 251, 335

Computer Engineering

ECE 110, 120

Computer Science

CS 100, 125, CS 126, 173, 225, 233, 241

Electrical Engineering

ECE 110, 120

Engineering Mechanics

ME 170, 200, 310, 330, 470, TAM 195, 211, 212, 251, 252, 270, 324, 335, 412, 445, 470

Engineering Physics

PHYS 110, 225, 325, 435, 485, 486

Systems Engineering & Design

ECE 110, 211, SE 100, 261, 310, 311, 312, 320, 330, 331, 410, 413, 420, 423, 424, 494, 495, TAM 211, 212, 251, 335, IE 300, 310, 360, MATH 415

Industrial Engineering

ECE 110, SE 100, 261, 494, 495, IE 300, 310, 311, 330, 410, 413, 430, MATH 415, ME 330, TAM 211, 212, 251

Materials Science & Engineering

MSE 182, 201, 206, 304, 307, 308, 401, 402, 405, 406

Mechanical Engineering

ME 170, 270, 200, 310, 320, 330, 340, 360, 370, 371, 470, TAM 210, 211, 212, 251, 324, 335

Nuclear, Plasma & Radiological Engineering

ECE 205, ME 200, 310, NPRE 100, 247, 421, 431, 441, 446, 447, 448, 451, 455, 458, TAM 210, 211, 212, 335

Engineering UndeclaredABE 141, BIOE 120, MCB150, CEE 195, ECE 110, ECE 120, CS 100, CS101, CS125, CS126, CS173, CS225, ME170, TAM 195, PHYS 110, MSE 182, NPRE100

Audit a Course

Auditing a Course (including information from Part 3-305 of Student Code): Students carryhandling all matters ing a full program (12 or more semester hours) may audit (visit) a class with the written permission of the instructor and approval of the Office of the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs. No credit will be given for audited classes. Laboratory, military, physical education, or studio classes may not be audited. Additional information can be obtained from the Office of the Registrar. A fee will be assessed for any student who is not full time (12 credit hours or more).

  • An auditor is a listener only and does not participate in any way in class activities.
  • No lab sections, military, non-theory kinesiology, or studio classes are allowed for audit.
  • Course auditing is forbidden for students in The Grainger College of Engineering with “dropped” status, and auditing is rarely approved for students with a probation status.
  • Undergrad students in the The Grainger College of Engineering must already be registered as full time students in order to be allowed to audit.
  • No credit is given for auditing; a designated grade of “AU” appears on the student transcript.


  • Student obtains the Office of the Registrar’s “Auditor’s Permit” form and presents it to the course instructor at the first class.
  • Course instructor grants permission, if space is available, and signs the “Auditor’s Permit” form.
  • Student brings form to 206 EH for College of Engineering advisor’s review and approval by the 10th day of instruction. [Note:  Late audit requests require a written note by the instructor that the student hasn’t been participating.]
  • Advisor verifies student status before signing audit permission.
  • UPO advisor returns the approved/signed audit form directly to the student.
  • Student hand carries the completed “Auditor’s Permit” to Admissions and Records, 901 W. Illinois St., Suite 140, Urbana.

For exchange students, whose status in Ugrad Recs is typically shown as “Non-degree; “Nondegree” Major; Junior”:

  • Advisor makes a copy of the “Auditor’s Permit” form and gives it to the Director of IPENG for the student’s record.
  • Advising note:  IPENG students are not allowed to change their course registration after they have signed up to audit a class.

Concurrent Enrollment at UI Chicago/Springfield or Parkland

Students who are currently enrolled at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign may want to consider enrolling in courses offered during the same semester at University of Illinois Chicago, University of Illinois Springfield, or at Parkland College. Discuss your plans for concurrent enrollment as part of your course planning with your department advisor, and verify that you have completed the necessary prerequisites prior to enrolling in courses.

Be certain, prior to registering, that you will be earning transferable credit for any course that you plan to take from another school. Use the Transferology website to verify a match between the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign course, for which for which you want transfer credit, with a similar course being offered elsewhere.

Information from the Registrar regarding concurrent enrollment can be found at:

Concurrent Enrollment at UI Chicago or UI Springfield

Students must complete the Application for Concurrent Registration form, obtain the necessary signatures, and return the form to University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Registration Services. The Registrar's office will submit the form to the appropriate College, where an advisor will verify that the student wishing to enroll in the class in question will have availability to register. The advisor will sign the Application for Concurrent Registration and will take the form to the front desk at EH206 for the form to be scanned and returned to Registration Services.

Deadlines for submitting the Application for Concurrent Registration:

    • May 15th for summer term
    • August 15th for fall term
    • December 15th for spring term

Additional information regarding concurrent registration among the University of Illinois campuses may be obtained by contacting Registration Services by email at  

Note:  Chicago and Springfield students may not use the Concurrent Registration program for CITL delivered online courses.

Concurrent Enrollment with Parkland College

Students who wish to take classes at Parkland College may do so under the concurrent enrollment agreement with the University of Illinois.

Students are required to submit their academic history from Student Self-Service as a PDF to Parkland College. Student must also complete the appropriate concurrent enrollment form: 

As soon as Parkland grades are posted for the semester, students must request an official transcript be sent to Illinois according to the Transfer Credit instructions.

Students using financial aid may contact the Office of Student Financial Aid and must complete the application available at: Student Financial Aid Concurrent Enrollment Agreement.

Credit/No Credit Grading Option


Classes taken as credit/no credit (CR/NC) are not counted toward GPA, but they are included as part of total credit hours. The spirit of the credit/no credit option is to encourage students to explore subjects outside their major. In fact, the credit/no credit option is not allowed for courses that are required for a student’s degree major or minor. Other requirements include that a maximum of 18 hours can be used toward the degree, and only two courses per semester can be CR/NC. Also, students who are on probation or who have a pending case in FAIR that has not been resolved may not take a course on a credit-no credit basis. Based on Section 3-105 of Student Code.

Courses that are eligible for credit/no credit option

  • Free electives (unrestricted, but not technical electives)
  • The remaining six hours of the eighteen hours of liberal education courses (beyond six hours of social and behavioral science and six hours of humanities and arts course work).
  • First two levels of courses toward meeting Foreign Language/LOTE requirement  (Note: This is because the LOTE requirement is for a “third level,” not for three classes. A student is not required to take first or second level courses as prerequisites prior to taking the third level of a language.)
  • Courses that students want to count for James Scholar requirements can NOT be taken as Credit/No Credit


  1. Student obtains and fills out the Office of the Registrar’s “Credit/No Credit Option” form, obtainable from the Registrar's website: or from the front desk at 206 Engineering Hall.
  2. Student goes to his/her Home Department advisor for approval and signature on the form.
  3. Student brings the “Credit/No Credit Option” form to the 206 EH reception desk before the half-way point of the course.  
  4. For the exact dates, check the calendar on the Registrar's webpage:
  5. The Grainger College of Engineering Undergraduate Programs Office Records Advisor receives the “Credit/No Credit Option” form and updates the credit/no credit status on the student’s academic record.

Follow up

  • A course taken as CR/NC follows the same dates and procedures for dropping the course as if the course had been taken for a grade.
  • The credit-no credit option can also be reversed by using the “Credit/No Credit Option” form and procedural steps, which also must be completed before the half-way point of the course.
  • The course instructor will maintain grade records as usual for all students and will report the letter grade.  (The instructor is not aware of which students are taking a course as credit-no credit.) Following approval for the credit-no credit option, a student’s letter grade will automatically be converted to CR (credit) or NC (no credit) on the permanent record and may not be changed back to a letter grade.
  • A grade of C- or higher must be earned in order for the student to receive credit (CR grade). A grade of D+ or lower will result in no credit (NC grade).

Internships/Co-Ops for undergraduate students and ENG 310 (Internship Course)




(Amy Fruehling and Dean Brunet)

Please refer to SP2020 Information for other important changes due to COVID-19

The Essentials

  • International undergraduate students who are doing an internship must get TWO approvals: departmental approval (Internship Compliance Form) and ISSS approval (iStart CPT). They MUST register for ENG 310 as well.
  • Domestic students who wish to register for ENG 310 MUST obtain departmental approval (Internship Compliance Form).
  • There are two mandatory homework assignment as part of ENG 310 (in Compass2g).

The Details

Internships are a great way for students to apply what they are learning in class to a professional environment.

  • International undergraduate students who are graduating and doing an internship after their graduation will apply for OPT via iStart, and do not register for ENG 310.
  • International students (F-1 Visa) doing an internship prior to their graduation must register for ENG 310 and apply for CPT.
  • Non-International students may register for ENG 310. Check This: Why should I Register for ENG 310?

REQUIRED STEPS MUST BE DONE AT LEAST 4 WEEKS BEFORE THE START OF THE INTERNSHIP SEMESTER (international students will allow additional time for visa compliance purpose):

  • What to do if the semester has already started? Check Late Registration
  • What to do if I no longer need ENG 310? Let us know here. F-1 visa holders who have been approved for CPT must contact ISSS.

It is the student’s responsibility to check the rules before starting this process.

STEP 1 – Company Offer Letter

Communicate with the company. Provide company with our Template Letter Here. It is NOT mandatory that companies use our template, but it will greatly facilitate the verification process, and expedite the approval of your internship and the receiving of your Internship Compliance Approval (Easy_to_Retrieve information in the Offer Letter allows for a speedy process for all University staff).




(Amy Fruehling and Dean Brunet)

Please refer to SP2020 Information for other important changes due to COVID-19

STEP 2 - Internship Compliance

It is the student’s responsibility to check the rules before starting the process.

Checklist for Internship Compliance:

  • You have a Company Offer Letter for an internship.
  • The internship is relevant to your engineering degree and aligns with the skills you learned in your classes.
  • Timing of internship:
    • You must have completed at least one year of academic work at the University of Illinois prior to your internship.
    • Full time internships are not allowed during the graduating semester.
    • Part time internships during the graduating semester are only allowed if you are registered in classes fulfilling your degree requirements (* ).
  • Part time/Full time - Academic coursework:
    • During full time internships (more than 20 hours per week), students are not encouraged to take any other academic work than ENG 310. (**)
    • During part time internships (between 8 and 20 hours per week), students must register for a minimum of 12 hours of classes during Fall or Spring (* ).
    • During Fall/Spring City Scholars internships (20 hours per week), students must register for a minimum of 12 hours of classes (* ).
  • Location of Internship:
    • The only possible part time internships are either at the Research Park for any semester or as a City Scholar (with a participating company you have been matched to) for fall/spring semesters.
    • No virtual or remote internship will be approved. The internship must be at the company site. For City Scholars continuing as interns on campus, or other situations, discuss with ECS director Amy Fruehling.
  • Duration of Internship:
    • Full time Internships must be at least 8 weeks for Summer and at least 10 weeks for Fall/Spring.
    • Full time Internships are not possible for the entire academic year (no consecutive Fall+Spring or Spring+Fall is possible). 
    • Part time Internships must be at least 6 weeks for Summer and at least 8 weeks for Fall/Spring.
    • The internship cannot start before the last day of the prior academic semester and cannot end on or after the first day of instruction of the following academic semester. (***)
    (* ) During your graduating semester, you may ask for underload if fewer than 12 hours are necessary to complete your degree requirements. During Summers, you do NOT need to be enrolled full time-minimum 6 hours- if doing a part time internship.
    (**)  There are three main reasons for not taking a class during a full time internship: working full time might not be conducive to full dedication to a class and its rigor (class grade might suffer). If the class becomes too much of a time commitment in any way, this may impact the quality of the work delivered at the internship company. The special reduced tuition for ENG 310 FT (0 hours) will be forfeited if any class is added to one';s schedule. Students may register for one online class, but it is at their own risk.
    (***) Non International students do NOT need to register for ENG 310 in the summer if they are working: so any full time internship that starts in Spring must end by the first day of fall classes (i.e. not by the first day of summer).

Download The Grainger College of Engineering Internship Compliance Form for Undergraduate Students from HERE (Fall 2019 Internships)

Download the Grainger College of Engineering Internship Compliance Form for Undergraduate Students from HERE (Spring 2020, Summer 2020, and Fall 2020 Internships)




(Amy Fruehling and Dean Brunet)

Please refer to SP2020 Information for other important changes due to COVID-19

STEP 3 - Internship Compliance Approval from your department

It is the student’s responsibility to check the rules outlined in STEP 2 before continuing the process.

  1. Request Approval via the online application that goes to your department (CS+X students submit to the CS department)- See Table Below. You will upload both your completed Internship Compliance Form and your Company Offer Letter. It is your responsibility to check that the Company Offer Letter contains all required information for the verification process (see Compliance Checklist). If not, departments will not be able to verify compliance.

  2. You then receive communication from your department within 5 business days with either:
    • Approval; An Internship Compliance Approval Form sent as an attachment via email, or
    • Resubmit Needed; An email stating that information is missing, and that you must resubmit a request with completed information, or
    • Denial; An email stating that no Internship Compliance Approval can be provided (with explanation as to why).

STEP 4 – ENG 310

Which Section of ENG 310 should I register for?

  • ENG 310 CS is for City Scholars only (these are part time internships with participating companies). Students take 12 hours minimum of classes.
  • ENG 310 PT is for Part Time internships (not for City Scholars). Students must register for 12 hours minimum for fall or spring internships.
  • ENG 310 FT is for Full Time internships. Students do NOT register for any other class.

Register for ENG 310 here. Check This: Why should I Register for ENG 310?

  • Grainger Engineering students may register for ENG 310 (no override is necessary).
  • CS+X and LAS-PHYS need an override and will email their UIN and desired Section of ENG 310 to with Subject "ENG 310 Override".

The cost for ENG 310 FT is only a tuition of $200 plus Campus general fees-note that taking any other class will cancel this special cost. The Grainger College of Engineering sends a list after the 10th day of classes to the Registrar, for this special billing, and your billing will be adjusted. Non-International students might benefit from being registered in ENG 310 while doing a full time internship (as opposed to stepping out for one semester - not registering for ENG 310 FT), for Health insurance purpose, non interruption of studies for financial reasons (repayment of loans), etc.

Non-compliant students: It the student’s responsibility to check the rules before they register in ENG 310.

  • Non-compliant international students will risk termination of their F-1 Visa.
  • All international students must obtain an Internship Compliance Approval, register for ENG 310, and obtain a CPT Approval, while doing any internship.

The Grainger College of Engineering will regularly check and drop ENG 310 for all non-compliant students:

  • 4 business days before the start of the semester.
  • After the start of the semester with no possibility of cancelling registration (you will be assessed the normal fees for withdrawing from the semester if ENG 310 Section FT is your only class).
  • After the 10th day of classes with no possibility of refunds, and immediate termination of F-1 Visa status for non-compliant international students.




(Amy Fruehling and Dean Brunet)

Please refer to SP2020 Information for other important changes due to COVID-19

STEP 5 - Special steps and checklist for international students- HIGHLY IMPORTANT

  • Students with questions about CPT should discuss with ISSS Staff.
  • Student holds an F-1 visa (absolutely no CPT or OPT can be approved for any other type of Visa).
  • It is the student's responsibility when contemplating employment at Research Park to ensure that either 1) they apply for CPT (an internship), or 2) they make absolutely sure that they will be paid through the Office of Corporate Relations (NOT an internship).
  • Student is “internship compliant” (has obtained their Internship Compliance Approval from their department). Termination of F-1 Visa will happen for students who are not compliant (non-compliant students will be dropped from ENG 310).
  • Student is registered in (the correct section of) ENG 310 while doing their internship. Termination of F-1 Visa will happen for students who are not enrolled.

  • Student makes a request for CPT/OPT via iStart: Go here for the iStart approval process.
    • Student selects their departmental unit for CPT (e.g. select "Engineering AERO – CPT only (undergraduate)", "Engineering ABE – CPT only (undergraduate)", ...., "Engineering PHYS – CPT only (undergraduate)"). CS+X students select "Engineering CS – CPT only (undergraduate)"
    • Student selects their college for OPT (i.e. select "Engineering (undergraduate)")
  • Student must have an approved CPT I-20 in hand before starting to work
  • CHECKLIST FOR OPT ONLY - the complete OPT Compliance checklist consists of:
    • Student has completed all the requirements of their engineering degree prior to their OPT internship.
    • The OPT Internship that student is requesting approval for is for one year or less.
    • Student has no more than 364 days of prior approved CPT full time.
    • Student was concurrently registered in ENG 310 for all prior approved CPT internships.

STEP 6 - Completion of required work in ENG 310

To obtain a satisfactory (S) grade in ENG 310, all students must be sure that their internship is compliant (STEP 3) and complete two required homework assignments:

  • HW1 (by mid-semester at the very latest- we recommend completion of HW1 as soon as Class Starts): you will provide a short reflection, a paragraph or two, on what you expect to gain from your internship.
  • HW2 (by Reading Day-Absolutely no Extension possible): you will provide a short reflection, a paragraph or two, on what you learned from your internship.

Any missing homework assignment will result in an unsatisfactory (U) grade, and no possibility of making it up. Students with internships spanning over Spring+Summer or Summer+Fall will be required to complete the required HW for both ENG 310 classes they register for.

Homework is available at Compass2g for the ENG 310 course 


Students first make sure they comply with all the requirements of an internship/ENG 310 and then execute all required steps as outlined.

Adding ENG 310 after the 10th day of classes in Spring or Fall is only possible for Part Time Internships. Students will:

  1. Request to add (the correct section CS or PT of) ENG 310 via the Add-Drop Portal in fall/spring or fill out a late Add Form in summer.
  2. Attach their “Internship Compliance Approval” to the ADD ENG 310 form, in lieu of the required signature on the ADD ENG 310 form.
  3. Meet a college of engineering advisor in 206 Eng Hall for approval (City Scholars will email a request to by attaching their “Internship Compliance Approval”).

Adding ENG 310 after the campus add deadline in Summer. Students will:

  1. Make sure to have their Internship Compliance Form approved (signed by departmental advisor).
  2. Meet a college of engineering advisor in 206 Eng Hall for approval (students who are not on campus at the Research Park will email a request to and attach their signed ICF).

Grade Replacement Request

The Essentials

  • All Grade Replacement requests require College approval.
  • Not all requests will be approved.
  • There are deadlines to make requests for Grade Replacement.

The Details

Background and Guidelines

All undergraduate students can repeat courses and use the new grade to replace the grade they earned in the first attempt. The benefit to doing this is to recalculate the cumulative GPA; however, your transcript will still show that you have taken the course, and it will show the grade for each. For additional information, see the Registrar’s information on the Campus Grade Replacement Policy (

The following are the guidelines in which students can Grade Replace:

  • Students are restricted to 4 distinct courses, totaling no more than 10 credit hours during their undergraduate years at Illinois
  • The first attempt at the course must be a C- or lower
  • Students must not have had an officially reported academic integrity violation for the first attempt at the course
  • Students must retake the course at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign in order for it to count for grade replacement. Study abroad courses are not eligible for consideration.
  • Students can enroll in a GIS or NETMATH online section to replace an on-campus corresponding course grade
  • Students must file their intent to use Grade Replacement according to the Campus Grade Replacement policy (, by the deadline. This is for ethical reasons.

Steps to Request a Grade Replacement

Be aware that you must submit the Grade Replacement Request to your college (not to the unit offering the class!)

STEP 1Register for the course you wish to grade replace. If you decide later to drop the class, we will make sure not to count the hours against the max of 10 possible.

STEP 2Verify the type and term of the course for which you want to request Grade Replacement. That determines how you will need to make your request (either by paper form or online portal as follows):

Type of class you wish to Grade ReplaceWhere/How to make your GR request
If you are taking a NetMath course, any online "term OCE 7" course that does not follow the usual academic term, or you are taking a POT B course to grade replace a POT A course from the same semesteruse the hard copy campus-wide grade replacement form. Fill out the form, sign and bring it to 206 EH. You may email a scanned version of the grade replacement form to or visit 206 EH to submit it in person.
If you are taking any other regular course (see above), including any regular online course, for grade replacementyou will submit your request electronically by the posted deadline: Click HERE to go to the online portal.

STEP 3. Make sure to submit your grade replacement request by the deadline, the midpoint of the term in which you retake the class. Please check the dates and deadlines provided at the Registrar's website for grade replacement. Late requests to file for Grade Replacement will not be accepted by the College of Engineering. 

Steps to Rescind a Grade Replacement

If you previously requested that a course be used for grade replacement and you have changed your mind, you must visit 206 Engineering Hall in person to rescind your request by completing a form available at the front desk.  Also, if you made changes to the course you will use for grade replacement (either dropped, changed sections, etc), visit 206 Engineering Hall to adjust your request accordingly. Email if unable to visit in person (for online courses). Late requests to rescind Grade Replacement will not be accepted by the College of Engineering. 

NOTE: There might be many other questions you have about Grade Replacement; please read the Frequently Asked Questions document


hold on your record prevents you from registering for classes, adding or dropping classes, or changing class sections.  If you encounter a hold unexpectedly, there is some issue that you need to take care of.  Pay attention to the type of the hold; this will tell you who to see to resolve the issue and get the hold removed. 

An advising hold (AH) may be placed on any student's record if Undergraduate Programs or your department finds it necessary to meet with the student regarding degree status and/or their academic program.  If you have an advising hold, check first with your department advising office .

College Hold (CH) requires that you meet with a dean in the Undergraduate Programs Office before making any change in your current course schedule or advance registering for the next semester.  If you have a college hold, come to 206 Engineering Hall, 8:30 am to 11:45am and 1pm to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday, or phone us at 217/333-2280. 

Holds may also be placed by the Registrar's office for financial issues (unpaid bills) and other reasons. 

Overload or Underload Request

The Essentials

  • All Overload/Underload requests require College approval.
  • Not all requests will be approved.
  • There are deadlines to make requests for Overload/Underload.

The Details

Overloads (more than 18 hours or coursework in fall/spring and more than 9 hours in summer) and underloads (fewer than 12 hours in fall/spring) require college approval per the Student Code (see All requests require careful review by Grainger Engineering advising staff. Petitions for overload or underload are made by using an online web form, as detailed below, beginning the 9th week of the previous semester and during preregistration.

Requests must be submitted to the College by the appropriate deadline to be considered:

  • June 1st for both Summer and Fall terms. (star)
  • December 1st for Spring term. (star)

(star) All students are expected to plan each semester and anticipate their possible wish/need for overload or underload during preregistration for the following semester (the semester under review for Overload/Underload).

Oops! It Is After The Deadline AND I Forgot; WHAT DO I DO? 

  • Requests for an Overload initiated after the posted deadline will be done via the "Add/Drop" portal which opens on the 11th day of classes (fall and spring only). No exceptions will be made.
  • Students who missed the deadline for an Underload request will email or visit 206 Eng Hall. During the first 10 days of classes, the Undergraduate Programs Office has very high traffic and Records Staff might not be able to check with you in person whether you qualify for Underload or not, so we may not be able to handle your request in time. Making any Underload request in person after the 5th day of classes will impact tuition, without any possibility for adjustment.


For overload approval, we want to make sure that you can handle the coursework successfully. Factors taken into consideration include the number of credit hours requested, prior loads of classes, and previous progress. Petitions for overloads require careful review of course combinations, academic history, course availability, course prerequisites, and student history of overload requests.

Winter term: A maximum of one (1) online course may be taken over Winter term. Note that only online courses are offered over Winter term. No overload requests will be allowed.

Your petition for an overload will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and a response will be sent to you via email, typically after the previous semester's grades are available.

Notes (eligibility and process):

  1. Overloads are typically granted for students who have demonstrated high scholastic performance (typically Illinois GPA >=3.5) with sustained heavy loads of classes (typically 4 engineering/technical classes, 16 credit hours minimum per semester).
  2. Grades from completion of at least one semester as an engineering student on campus are required (no overload will be granted first semester)
  3. While petitions will be reviewed on a case by case basis, students with GPAs below 3.0 will be most likely denied.
  4. Overload petitions for more than 22 hours will be automatically denied.
  5. Submit your request to the college at by the deadline.

Note the Following Important Details:

  1. If your request for credit hour overload is approved, you will be able to add the course requiring overload hours starting on the first day of classes. Therefore, you should plan your schedule accordingly, in case the additional course requested is no longer available at that time.
  2. Overload approvals do not obligate faculty or departments to provide overrides into closed sections/courses.


Underloads generally require a good reason, and are typically only approved for students in their final/graduating semester, on the Pending Degree List and with fewer than 12 hours remaining to satisfy all the requirements of their degree. 

  • Underload approvals for graduating seniors must be approved by a records advisor in 206 Engineering Hall who will verify via a graduation check. Your petition for an underload will be reviewed and a response sent to you via email, typically within three to four business days.
  • Underload approvals for non-graduating seniors NOT on the degree list must be approved by an advisor or dean at 206 Engineering Hall and require documentation in support of an underload (e.g. from DRES). 

STEPS (for graduating seniors):

  1. Graduating seniors must first add themselves on the Pending Degree List, via Enterprise/Self-Service system. All requests from graduating seniors who are not on the Pending Degree List will be denied.

  2. Graduating seniors must check that they have fewer than 12 hours to complete their degree in fall or spring.

  3. International students must make their request to ISSS via iStart, and then submit an underload request to the College.  (access iStart here).

  4. Submit your request to the college at by the deadline.

STEPS (for NON-graduating seniors):

  1. Non-graduating seniors must first obtain a letter of support from their DRES case manager

  2. International students must make their request to ISSS via iStart, and then submit an underload request to the College.  (access iStart here).

  3. Submit your request to the college at by the deadline.

Also note:

  1. Underload approvals will be pending that you pass all the classes you are registered for in the semester prior to the Underload Semester.
  2. Underload approvals will not be granted for "graduating seniors" who are missing critical requirements that should have been completed by sophomore year (such as multiple proficiency exams for example; students will not be approved for underload and must simply register for sophomore classes they are missing).

Prerequisite and Concurrent/Credit Course Enrollment

In order to ensure that you are prepared to succeed in your courses, prerequisites and concurrent registration requirements will begin to be enforced for The Grainger College of Engineering courses through the Enterprise/Self-Service System in addition to checks that your department conducts.  It is up to the discretion of the College and departments which courses will have prerequisites enforced via Enterprise/Self-Service. With a few exceptions, these are only Engineering courses at the 100-300 level. The courses listed in the table below are courses with prerequisites enforced via Banner, which can be updated each semester. This falls within the boundaries of the Student Code and The Office of the Registrar's policies. Please note that all courses with cross-listed courses will have prerequisites enforced. If you have questions regarding this in reference to a specific course, please contact the department offering the course. The College and departments highly recommend planning your course schedule a few semesters ahead, by using departmental maps and Course Explorer to check prerequisites, in addition to semester meetings with your departmental academic advisor to ensure you are taking the courses in an appropriate sequence.

AE 202, 311, 312, 321, 323, 352, 353

BIOE 201, 202, 205, 206, 210, 302, 303, 306, 310, 360, 414, 415, 420, 435, 436, 460, 476, 479, 487

CEE 201, 202, 300, 310, 320, 340, 350, 360, 380

CS 101, 126, 173, 210, 225, 233, 240, 241, 242, 357, 361, 374

ECE 205, 206, 210, 211, 220, 304, 307, 310, 311, 313, 314, 329, 330, 333, 340, 342, 343, 350, 365, 385, 391, 444

IE 300, 310, 370

ME 200, 270, 310, 320, 330, 340, 360, 370, 371, 458

MSE 206, 280, 304, 307, 308, 401

NPRE 201, 247

PHYS 211, 212, 213, 214, 225, 325, 326

SE 310, 320
TAM 210, 211, 212, 251, 252, 335

Attempts to register for courses without having met prerequisites will yield the following message “Course Prerequisite and/or Test Score Error –Contact Course Department”

When using Classic Registration:

When using Enhanced Registration:


If you receive this message, first check Course Explorer ( to ensure you have satisfied the prerequisite(s) for taking the course. If you have not taken the prerequisite course(s), please contact your academic advisor in your home department to discuss an academic plan that will satisfy the prerequisite(s) in the upcoming semester.  If you are still needing an override, please complete the steps below to request an override.

Step 1: Request Approval via the online petition that goes to the department offering the course. You should click on the link for the department in which the course you are seeking a prerequisite override is in (See table below). For example, if you are a CS student requesting a prerequisite override for an ECE course, you should click on the link for Request an override for an ECE course. When submitting your request, you will need to sign in using your Illinois login and select Prerequisite Override Request in the Petition Type drop down menu.

Step 2: You will receive communication from the department offering the course within 5 business days with either an approval or a denial. If approved, you can then register for the course. Please know that requests made between December 24 - January 1st will be reviewed starting January 2, 2020.

Important notes:

You may only submit ONE course per request, but you may submit several requests for the same semester (i.e. don't combine requests for ECE 206 and TAM 210 in one request; rather, submit a separate request for ECE 206 and a separate request for TAM 210).

Acceptable reasons to request an override include:

    • Taking prerequisite course not at the University of Illinois.
    • Taking prerequisite course over winter OR summer break
    •  Already took the prerequisite course but it isn’t yet transferred or showing up in the University of Illinois system yet
    •  Received written curriculum modification approval for one or more of the selected course prerequisites from the offering department.
    • Taking or already took prerequisite course while studying abroad.

Finally, if you are taking a course this semester, which is a prerequisite for a course you plan to take next semester, you will be allowed to register for that course. For example, if you register for MATH 241 during the summer term at UIUC, you will be able to register for a course in which MATH 241 is a prerequisites for in the fall. NO override is needed. However, if you do not pass the prerequisite course this semester, you will be removed from the course in which you do not meet the prerequisites prior to the start of the semester. In the event you are removed from a prerequisite course, it is your responsibility to adjust your semester accordingly within the 10-day add-drop period at the beginning of the term, while maintaining at least 12 credit hours. **Please note that an Incomplete grade in a prerequisite course must be resolved before prerequisite overrides are granted. Exceptions may be made for cases where a passing final course grade is certain at the time of the request.**

Transfer Credit

Course with Pre-Defined Equivalents at Illinois

Many courses at other colleges and universities have already been evaluated as equivalent to specific courses at Illinois.  If your course is one of these, transferring the credit will be greatly simplified.  To determine what Illinois courses are equivalent to courses at other institutions, use Transferology (, an online transfer course equivalency database.

If your course has a defined Illinois equivalent, proceed to "Actually Transferring the Course," below.  If you are feeling confused or cannot find your course in Transferology, contact The Grainger College of Engineering Undergraduate Programs Office in 206 Engineering Hall or via email at

Course Without Pre-Defined Illinois Equivalents

To have course work evaluated that has not been previously reviewed, please submit an official course syllabus to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Coordinated Course Articulation Unit at This campus unit is responsible for facilitating the review of all transfer coursework and recording the official determination of equivalency in U.Achieve, the degree audit system, and Transferology. Please submit syllabi as PDF and include your full name, UIN and college of enrollment in the body of your email message. Course descriptions or generic course outlines aren't acceptable for transfer course reviews. Please note that the Coordinated Course Articulation Unit is unable to pre-review international transfer courses. Students electing to take international coursework assume all risks associated with the transfer of such coursework, including basic transferability and equivalency to Illinois coursework.

Please note that courses articulated to Illinois rubrics and levels, but not a specific course, have previously been reviewed. These courses are visible in Transferology as MATH 2 - -, PHYS 2 - -, CHEM 1 - -, etc. It is extremely unlikely that these type of equivalencies will change and based on the date of the prior review, the Coordinated Course Articulation Unit will potentially be unable to request a new review. If you wish to take a course that has been reviewed in this manner, please work with your College of Engineering advisor to discuss degree applicability. Coordinated Course Articulation staff are unable to advise if a specific course will apply to a degree requirement.

Finally, depending on the time of the year, course reviews may take a substantial period of time - up to 8 weeks during periods when faculty are not on campus or a high volume of documents are being sent.

Course with no current articulation or non-transferable Course

Some courses at other colleges and universities may never have reviewed for transfer or may not be transferable.  Ask the Records staff in 206 Eng hall for any additional information they may have about the current stage of the review.

Here is a list of what you may see in your Degree Audit:

  • TLAS1– (TENG1–, etc. ): course that requires LAS  (ENG etc.) review.
  • NOTR1–, course has been marked as non-transferable (course has been evaluated and cannot be transferred for college credit).
  • UNKN1–: courses in under review at the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (may be directed to a specific college/department for review, may be non-transferable, etc.).
  • TRAN1–: course with unknown equivalency (unused). review has been done and course cannot be used.

Actually Transferring the Credit

After you've completed the course: To have credit from another institution evaluated for transfer to Illinois, you'll need to submit a transcript from the transfer institution to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Information regarding where to send transcripts is available online at the Office of the Registrar's website.

Other Forms of Outside Credit Toward Degree Completion

Please contact The Grainger College of Engineering Undergraduate Programs Office at if you have questions.

  • No labels