The first step to become certified as a Professional Engineer (PE) is to take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam, formerly known as the EIT.
NCEES is pleased to announce that the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and Fundamentals of Surveying (FS) exams have fully transitioned to computer-based testing and are now administered exclusively at approved Pearson VUE test centers. Computer-based testing provides many advantages for both examinees and NCEES. Examinees are now able to schedule their exam at a time and location that work best for them and receive their results within 7 to 10 days. NCEES gains enhanced security and better uniformity in testing conditions with the move to computer-based testing. There is a fee of $225 payable at the time of registration with NCEES. Please read the NCEES Examinee Guide and register for the exam here: http://ncees.org/exams/
The Illinois Board of Professional Regulations also requires examinees to submit an application and pay an application fee of $120 to the board after registering with NCEES and scheduling an exam. You will need your NCEES ID number. Examinees should contact the board directly for details. Registration applications can be found here
As a PE, you can expect many benefits unavailable to other engineers:
- Many employers offer higher salaries and greater opportunities for advancement to licensed PE's.
- Only PE's can consult in private practice.
- Only PE's can seal company documents to be sent to the government.
- PE's have more credibility as expert witnesses in court than most engineers.
U of I engineers have a pass rate of well over 95% on the FE Exam, which is much greater than the national pass rate of 73%. Therefore, the College of Engineering urges all of its seniors to sign up for the next FE exam. After passing this test, there are only three more steps in obtaining a PE license.
- Graduate with a bachelor's degree from an ABET-accredited engineering curriculum (all curricula in the College of Engineering except Engineering Physics).
- Gain four years of engineering experience under the supervision of a registered professional engineer.
- Pass the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) Exam.
REVIEW SESSIONS ON CAMPUS:
Spring 2017 Review Session
ASME is hosting a review course designed to help students prepare for the FE Exam this semester for the April/May testing window. Review books by Kaplan will also be offered at a discounted price.
Course Sign-ups and Book Orders:
•Tuesday (1/31) through Friday (2/3) from 12-4 PM
•First floor of ENGINEERING HALL
•Kaplan books offered for discounted price of $60
•9 weekly three-hour sessions
•Mondays from 7-10 PM starting February 6th until April 9
•Registration fee: $45
Contact Karan Sethi email@example.com
Information on this page is updated by Jennifer Sans