Child pages
  • Faculty Resources
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

This page provides useful information to Faculty for advising engineering undergraduate students in their classes, about grades, rules, and important policies. Please send feedback to if you have suggestions about this page. We are happy to make any improvement that you need!

Click on any of the links below to read more about the corresponding topic:

Contact Information: The Grainger College of Engineering Undergraduate Programs Office - UPO

Life Happens:

Adding/Dropping Classes:

About Exams:

Special accommodations:

About Grades:


--------------The Grainger College of Engineering Undergraduate Programs Office - UPO

--------------Student not doing well during the semester and in need of options/help

Please direct engineering undergraduate students who experience extraordinary circumstances to the college UPO to discuss possible options. Students might benefit from counseling (we have an embedded counselor), be able to late drop your class, or even withdrawal from the semester. There are many details about all of these processes that you need not worry about, but the college advisors are available to assist students in distress. 

Students considering a medical withdrawal should be directed to the Office of the Deans of Students (ODOS) or . Campus has additional resources that might be helpful as well (see Student Resources#CampusResources)

--------------Student sick at End of Semester, unable to complete final exam or final project - Incomplete Grade Option possible?

If a student is unable to complete the final examination or other requirements at the end of the semester due to illness or other extenuating life circumstances, a temporary time extension may be granted to complete the small amount of outstanding coursework in the form of an Incomplete (I) grade - See . 

For graduate students, instructors are in charge of issuing incomplete grades, but for undergraduate students, it is a college process.

Important things to know (undergraduate students):

  • Only the student’s college may authorize an extension of time. We review and evaluate each case, individually, based on gathered information.
  • The college will verify the extenuating circumstances.
  • The college will ask that you, as the instructor, provide information on the student's overall performance (this requires timely attention during a very busy time of the semester. Your prompt collaboration is much appreciated!).
  • If a student discusses with you the possibility of an Incomplete and it looks like an incomplete is appropriate, direct them to their college to start the process as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that:
    • Incomplete (I) grades are not granted to students who had the opportunity to complete the work, but did not (e.g.,overslept the final exam). 
    • Incomplete (I) grades are not granted to students who need to make up a large portion of the course (that is, they have many missing assignments, not just a final exam) or to students who are clearly not passing the class.

--------------Student with irregular attendance or participation - What to do?

Regular class participation is expected from all students. Irregular attendance might be the sign of many other issues to address. We recommend reaching out to the student and also encourage the student to come see you and/or advise the student to contact their college. We recommend instructors to notify our college to report irregular attendance in your class. (part h)

--------------Student who missed an assignment - What to do?

This is your class, and so you have broad latitude in how to appropriately handle this situation. However, the university encourages faculty to be sensitive to each student's individual special circumstances.

  • Students with legitimate excuses: Students who are absent from class for more than three days due to special circumstances will be able to request a letter of absence from the Office of the Deans of students (ODOS). These letters are intended to provide information to the instructors who require them and can be used to help the instructor determine whether or not to excuse the absence and allow make-up work.
  • Others circumstances: we strongly recommend that you have a clearly posted policy in your syllabus on missed assignments. It is up to you to excuse students who miss class because of job interviews, and similar situations. We noticed an increase of stress around career fairs, engineering open house, and final exams week, and would recommend a bit of leniency if possible around those times (many students, especially incoming undergraduate, get really stressed out). Please note that The Grainger College of Engineering does not issue incompletes for students who missed their final exam because they "forgot the day/time" for example. It is really up to you to decide what to do, while being fair to the rest of the class (let the student take your conflict exam, or any option that you feel is appropriate). Again, this is entirely up to you. For unusual requests, you may want to reach out to the Associate Head for Undergraduate Programs in your department.

--------------Failing My class - Special Examination Option?

Special examinations offer students who failed a course another opportunity to pass the course and earn academic credit counting toward degree completion. It is typically used for graduating seniors who need the class credit to fulfill the requirements for their degree.  Refer to the Student Code for complete information at

Important things to know:

  • Once the student has been in conversation with the instructor about the special exam and there is an agreement, the student needs to go to the Registrar's Office (901 W Illinois St, Suite 140, Urbana) to pick up the Special Exam Request form. Administrative offices are typically open Monday –Friday from 8:30am to noon and 1-5pm. 
  • The student is responsible for gathering the signatures on the form. This form needs to be signed by the instructor, the Head of the Dept, and the College Dean (do NOT send them to the Dean in 306 Engineering Hall; rather the advising deans in 206 Engineering Hall act as proxy) for approval.
  • The department will need to create a special exam section CRN for the term the exam is taken. 
  • Once all of the signatures have been obtained, the student will need to drop off the form to 206 Engineering Hall for the final signature (we take care of sending the form to the Registrar’s Office). 
  • The exam must be administered after the close of the semester during which the course is offered and before the end of the next semester in which the student is registered following failure in the course.
  • The instructor that administers the special exam is responsible for submitting grades to the Registrar’s Office within 4 weeks of the date of the exam.
  • Student earns a passing grade in the course (and will be given course credit) if the student earns at least a C- on the examination. If they earn a D+ or below, the student will receive a non-passing grade (F) in the course. This is the same rule as the Credit/NonCredit Rule (C- and above grants credit). 
      • The instructor will need to obtain a grade report from from their department, supply a grade on the grade report form, and sign/date it. The instructor is responsible for turning the completed form into their departmental office for processing.

--------------Adding classes

Students may register for any class with available seats for which they satisfy pre-requisites until the posted add deadline (see Instructors should have clearly posted policies in their syllabus about making up missed work. Students need special permission from the instructor about adding classes after the add deadline. Please refrain from giving very late permissions to add classes (after the 4th week of classes), as it is oftentimes difficult for students to come up to speed in the course. Also check with your department about space constraints- While there might be apparent available seats in your class, your class might already be full.

--------------Dropping classes (policies) Engineering College Specific

Students in The Grainger College of Engineering may not drop restricted classes (star) after the 10th day of classes. All students must remain full time (12 hours credit and above). Please direct students to the Undergraduate Program Office  for any questions they have, or any concerns, regarding dropping courses. Information at d.) and at

(star) Restricted classes are engineering/technical classes that students may not drop without compromising their progress towards their degree.

--------------Rules for midterms

Any examination, except a final, given at other than the regularly-scheduled class time, and when the University is in session, will be scheduled between 7:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m., on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. Students are to be excused from one or more regular class periods for an amount of time equivalent to that required for the evening examination. Contact your department for rules on exams scheduled at CBTF. More information to be posted about CBTF exams soon.

Conflict or makeup examinations:

  • must be arranged for those students who cannot take the scheduled evening examination because of the conflicts arising from participation in activities as mentioned in the Student Code, such as other examinations, regularly scheduled classes, etc.
  • should be held within one week of the regularly scheduled examination.
  • Please note that the Office of Deans of Students does not issue absence letters if a student has been sick for fewer than 4 days, and that the Deans in the Undergraduate Programs Office do not issue excuse letters.

Midterms rules (Student Code) may be found at

--------------Rules for final exams


  • Final examinations will be given during the scheduled final examination period for each course, except in a course that has a character that renders a final examination unnecessary or impracticable, as determined by the instructor.
  • No student should be required to take more than two consecutive final examinations. If no conflict final examinations have been scheduled, the student must contact the instructor of the course having the largest number of students for accommodations. A guide for resolving conflicts may be found in the Student Code.

More information may be found at URLs below:

--------------Religious Accommodations

  • Attendance conflict:  University policy and state law require that all instructors reasonably accommodate conflicts with class attendance and academic work requirements resulting from a student’s religious beliefs, observances, and practices.
  • Exam conflict: the University must reasonably accommodate a student’s religious beliefs, observances, and practices in accordance with § 1-107 and § 1-501 in regard to the scheduling of examinations if the student informs his or her instructor of the conflict within one week after being informed of the examination schedule.

--------------Students registered with DRES

The University provides reasonable accommodations to students with disabilities admitted to study at the University. Students registered with DRES may provide their instructors various letters of accommodations (extended time on exams, assignments, taking examinations at DRES facility, etc).

Additional information from DRES will be posted here soon

--------------When and where to enter my grades?

--------------Changing grades

--------------Should I assign F or ABS?

  • An ABS grade should be reserved for students who were absent from the final exam, or missed your class’ final graded assignment (final project, essay, group presentation, etc). A student who missed the final exam, but who was otherwise failing the class should be assigned an F instead.
  • For ABS and F grades, the last day of attendance (e.g., participation) should be recorded in the grade entry system with care and accuracy: they are an important part of Financial Aid processes and withdrawal processes. See
    • For an ABS grade, the last day of attendance must be Reading Day (see for dates).
    • For a F grade, the last day of attendance is the last day the student participated in the class in any way (turned a quiz, an exam, attended class, etc).
  • For GPA computation, both F and ABS will be computed as a "0" grade point. Please note that:
    • An Incomplete grade is different from an ABS and is not factored in the students' GPA computation.
    • Instructors may not enter Incomplete Grades for undergraduate students.  See Incomplete for more information.

--------------Grade Replacement Policy

Undergraduate students may repeat courses for grade replacement. See Please note that:

--------------Academic Integrity

  • The Student Code on Academic Integrity may be found at
    • "The University has the responsibility for maintaining academic integrity so as to protect the quality of education and research on our campus and to protect those who depend upon our integrity.
    • Expectations of Students. It is the responsibility of each student to refrain from infractions of academic integrity, from conduct that may lead to suspicion of such infractions, and from conduct that aids others in such infractions. 
    • Expectations of Instructors. It is the responsibility of each Instructor to establish and maintain an environment that supports academic integrity. An essential part of each Instructor’s responsibility is the enforcement of existing standards of academic integrity. If Instructors do not discourage and act upon violations of which they become aware, respect for those standards is undermined. Instructors should provide their students with a clear statement of their expectations concerning academic integrity."
  • Information: Please refer to that contains a one-page Quick Reference Guide for instructors that summarizes the process.
  • Report Academic Integrity violations using the online FAIR system
  • The Student Code is "the law of the land" for academic integrity on our campus, as determined by the campus Senate. Moreover, the Student Code process protects both you and the student. The student receives due process, and you will be in a good position if a student or a parent should challenge your actions. The FAIR portal was built to make it easy for you to follow the Student Code process. 
  • Frequently Asked Questions

--------------Auditing my class

An “auditor” is only a listener in the classes attended; he or she is not a participant in any part of the exercises. A student desiring to audit your class should obtain the Registrar Auditor's Permission Form, your permission on the first day of class, space permitting, and the Dean's authorization (the advising deans in 206 Engineering Hall) by the 10th day of classes. The Grainger College of Engineering does not authorize students to audit a class if there intent to later obtain credit for that class (i.e., the student intends to register for the class in a subsequent semester, or is attempting a proficiency exam in that class).

--------------Taking my class for Honor Credit

TO DO...

--------------Sharing academic information about my students (FERPA)

  • Maintaining confidentiality of student records is mandated by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). Please visit the Office of the Provost website for additional information on Student Grades, Privacy and Federal LawsPlease do not share student records with anyone but the student, unless the student has signed a FERPA release to the third party (consult with your department to check if a particular student has a FERPA release on file).
  • It is OK to share academic performance with university staff (department or college). Sometimes, we need such information to check a situation (incomplete grades, financial aid, academic progress).
  • Pay particular attention to returning graded work to your students (privacy should be preserved). Read more at  Student Grades, Privacy and Federal Laws

--------------Students Rights and Responsibilities

  • No labels