Typical First Semester Schedule
Please download the COURSE SELECTION WORKSHEET to help plan your fall semester courses. Before registering, you will discuss appropriate fall courses with an advisor. Your first-semester schedule should consist of the courses below:
ENG 100 (Engineering Orientation)
THIS IS MANDATORY
(Engr Undeclared students also take ENG 101)
Department Orientation / Introductory Course(*)
Want to retake the placement test? Try a refresher first.
Composition and/or Department Intro course
Exploration course or liberal education
Enrichment course / Freshman elective
14-16 hrs (**)
(*) Students in majors without a designated gateway course will take an additional General Education course.
(**) Remember that 15 hours credit feels like having a job and half (about 60 hours per week, studying, going to class, etc) for 99% of students.
Useful and More
- Registration tips. Common problems when registering and troubleshooting.
- Proficiency exams can give you credit for courses. If you think you know the material for a course, feel free to attempt the proficiency test - it's free. Just Google the test you want to take, e.g. "math proficiency uiuc" or "cs 125 proficiency uiuc."
- Suggested Sequence (click on your major and scroll down) for second semester and beyond. Always consult an adviser before you register for classes!
- Course Explorer for fall 2018 classes.
- College Resources in Engineering: students talk about opportunities available to all engineering students (see Resource Map as well)
Things to Do When you Come to Campus in the Fall
- What was I really given credit for? Am I missing anything? Do I need to adjust my schedule? on Friday August 24, 2018, your New Student Hold will be taken off so you can adjust classes as necessary. A few days before the semester start, generate YOUR degree progress report ("u.achieve" is the Degree Audit Reporting System used at Illinois) to guide adjustments to make.
- REQUIRED: Come to IEFX Launch (Noon-2pm, Saturday, August 25, 2018)
- OPTIONAL: Come to campus Quad Day (Noon-4pm, Sunday, August 26, 2018)
- Classes start Monday, August 27, 2018!
- Online Advisees will need to get their i-card when coming in August (on-campus advised students can get i-card while here for summer registration). Simply visit the university i-card center.