Typical First Semester Schedule
Please download the COURSE SELECTION WORKSHEET to help plan your fall semester courses. Before registering, you will discuss appropriate fall courses with an advisor. Your first-semester schedule should consist of the courses below:
ENG 100 (Engineering Orientation)
THIS IS MANDATORY
Department Orientation / Introductory Course(*)
Want to retake the placement test? Try a refresher first.
Composition and/or Department Intro course
Exploration course or liberal education
Enrichment course / Freshman elective
14-16 hrs (**)
(*) Students in majors without a designated gateway course will take an additional General Education course.
(**) Remember that 15 hours credit feels like having a job and half (about 60 hours per week, studying, going to class, etc) for 99% of students.
Useful and More
- Registration tips. Common problems when registering and troubleshooting.
- Proficiency exams can give you credit for courses. If you think you know the material for a course, feel free to attempt the proficiency test - it's free. Just Google the test you want to take, e.g. "math proficiency uiuc" or "cs 125 proficiency uiuc."
- Suggested Sequence (click on your major and scroll down) for second semester and beyond. Always consult an adviser before you register for classes!
- Course Explorer for fall 2017.
Things to Do When you Come to Campus in the Fall
- What was I really given credit for? Am I missing anything? Do I need to adjust my schedule?
A few days before the semester starts, generate YOUR degree progress report (known as "DARS" soon to become "u.achieve")
- Come to Launch (Noon-2pm, Saturday, August 26, 2017)
- Come to Quad Day (Noon-4pm, August 27, 2017)
- Classes start August 28!
- Online Advisees will need to get their i-card when coming in August (on-campus advised students can get i-card while here for summer registration). Simply visit the university i-card center.