Child pages
  • Student Resources
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

The Grainger College of Engineering Advisors

The Grainger College of Engineering Undergraduate Programs

Campus Resources

Communicating Your Concerns

Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam

Back to Main Undergraduate Advising Home Page

The Grainger College of Engineering Advisors

Academic Advisors and Assistant Deans in Engineering Hall, 206

Marie-Christine Brunet

Kathy Eckstein

Ivan Favila

Mike Hirschi

Emad Jassim

Melissa Kisubika

Sue Larson

        Chris Migotsky

Casey Moore

Brooke Newell

Keri Niehans

Lori West

Records Advisors

Jamie Hannah

Bob Porter

Undergraduate Programs Office
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Grainger College of Engineering
206 Engineering Hall MC-272
1308 W. Green St.
Urbana, IL 61801

Academic Advisors in Departments

Aerospace Engineering or

Agricultural and Biological Engineering


Civil and Environmental Engineering

Computer Science

Electrical and Computer Engineering

Industrial and Systems Engineering

Mechanical Engineering

Materials Science and Engineering

Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering

Engineering Physics

The Grainger College of Engineering Undergraduate Program Resources

Access Point

Embedded Counselor from Counseling Center

Engineering International Student Programs (EISP)

Morrill Engineering Program (MEP)

Scholarships for Continuing Students

Women in Engineering (WIE)

Campus Resources

Health and Wellness

  • Campus Recreation - Health. Exercise. Fitness. Sports. For a healthy mind and body.

  • The Counseling Center - The Counseling Center is a great resource that provides many services including educational (reading and study skills), counseling (individuals, couples, groups therapy; alcohol and drugs, suicide, etc.), and outreach services. The Counseling Center takes confidentiality seriously. Did you know that the College of Engineering  has three counselors available this summer for Engineering students who are wanting to meet with a counselor for a virtual consultation? The brief (15 mins) virtual consultation will help the counselor gauge what types of services may be most helpful to students.

    These brief virtual consultations will be held via zoom (Zoom Meeting ID: 944 4450 7074; Password: 833818; you will enter a waiting room and wait until the counselor is available) on the following days and times:

    • Tuesdays, 11 - 12 pm CDT
    • Wednesdays, 2 - 3 pm CDT
    • Fridays, 3 - 4 pm CDT

  • Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES) - DRES is a resource available to students to assist with living and academic accommodations for visible and non-visual disabilities.

  • McKinley Health Center - The McKinley Health Center is a great resource for all your health needs. They provide services in mental and women's health, immunization for travel abroad, flu shots, health and fitness services, 24-hour Dial-a-Nurse, and more.

  • The Office of the Dean of Students - The Office of the Dean of Students is another great resource on campus for students. The office provides counseling; advocacy and referrals; assistance with complaints, class absences, and withdrawals; legal services; housing and the tenant union; hate crimes; new student programs; women's programs; and cultural and gender programs.


  • Center for Academic Resources in Engineering (CARE) - CARE is a learning community where services, resources and expertise converge to support engineering students. This space, on the fourth floor of the Grainger Engineering Library, encourages interaction and collaboration via tutoring, study groups and a variety of other resources.

  • Chemistry Tutoring - General chemistry TA available for walk-in help, free to students.

  • Math Tutoring - Variety of tutoring services available.

  • Math Tutorial help - Emeritus Professor Dr. Coddington created study tools, available for Calculus 1 - 3 and Differential Equations..

  • Statics, Dynamics, Solid and Fluid Mechanics help - Emeritus Professor Dr. Coddington created several helpful study tools for Engineering Mechanics courses.

Communicating your Concerns: Climate, Bias, & Microaggressions

At the University of Illinois Grainger College of Engineering, we are proud of our diverse, inclusive community for students, faculty, and staff.  We aim to ensure that everyone in our community feels included and supported.  However, concerns sometimes arise, and conflicts can occur between persons or groups based on race, gender, mental and physical ability status, sexual orientation, culture, national origin, age, etc. We do not tolerate expressions or actions of hate or bias, and we encourage every member of our community to express their concerns and to find support.  Some helpful resources are listed below.

  • For emergencies and immediate concerns, please call 911.

  • A counselor affiliated with the campus Counseling Center is available during the week for appointments in Engineering Hall specifically for engineering students.  Please call (217) 333-2280 to schedule a half-hour appointment.

  • Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to discuss bias incidents with trusted persons within their unit, such as the Department Chief Advisers or the Department Head.

  • Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to reach out to Champaign-Urbana community resources, including:

Students are encouraged to find their community at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. There are many diversity-related engineering student societies associated with Engineering Council.  Some of the larger groups are:

Students are encouraged to take advantage of University resources, including:

Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam

The first step to become certified as a Professional Engineer (PE) is to take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam, formerly known as the EIT.

NCEES is pleased to announce that the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and Fundamentals of Surveying (FS) exams have fully transitioned to computer-based testing and are now administered exclusively at approved Pearson VUE test centers. Computer-based testing provides many advantages for both examinees and NCEES. Examinees are now able to schedule their exam at a time and location that work best for them and receive their results within 7 to 10 days. NCEES gains enhanced security and better uniformity in testing conditions with the move to computer-based testing. There is a fee of $225 payable at the time of registration with NCEES.     Please read the NCEES Examinee Guide and register for the exam here:

The Illinois Board of Professional Regulations also requires examinees to submit an application and pay an application fee of $120 to the board after registering with NCEES and scheduling an exam. You will need your NCEES ID number.  Examinees should contact the board directly for details.  Registration applications can be found here

As a PE, you can expect many benefits unavailable to other engineers:

  • Many employers offer higher salaries and greater opportunities for advancement to licensed PE's.

  • Only PE's can consult in private practice.

  • Only PE's can seal company documents to be sent to the government.

  • PE's have more credibility as expert witnesses in court than most engineers.

Grainger Engineers have a pass rate of well over 95% on the FE Exam, which is much greater than the national pass rate of 73%. Therefore, The Grainger College of Engineering urges all of its seniors to sign up for the next FE exam. After passing this test, there are only three more steps in obtaining a PE license.

  • Graduate with a bachelor's degree from an ABET-accredited engineering curriculum (all curricula in The Grainger College of Engineering except Engineering Physics).

  • Gain four years of engineering experience under the supervision of a registered professional engineer.

  • Pass the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) Exam.

General Information about the Exam

What is the difference between the EIT vs. FE?
The Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam was formerly known as the Engineer in Training (EIT) exam. The name was changed because some people preferred not to use the term "in training." However, many people still refer to the exam as the EIT, and we usually call it the FE/EIT. Engineers who pass the FE are referred to as Engineering Interns and may use the letters "E.I." after their names.

What is the content and format of the FE Exam?
The examination is divided into a four-hour morning session and a four-hour afternoon session. The morning session consists of 120, one-point multiple choice questions that cover a wide range of engineering disciplines. The afternoon session consists of 60, two-point multiple choice questions in an area of the examinee's choice: chemical, civil, electrical, industrial, mechanical, or general engineering.
Each student can select which section of the afternoon portion they wish to take when they arrive for the afternoon segment of the exam. It is generally recommended that students take the general engineering section of the afternoon exam, since everyone studies the material for the morning exam, and the afternoon segment revisits the same material in a little more detail. However, electrical and computer engineers who have not taken much of the statics/dynamics, fluid, and thermodynamics might consider taking the specific electrical engineering exam.

What majors can take the FE Exam?
All majors in The Grainger College of Engineering (including Chemical and Agricultural) can take the exam except for Physics, Computer Science, and Bioengineering.

Registration Questions

Is the FE/EIT exam offered both semesters?
Yes, the exam is offered year round.

All applicants must also register with NCEES ( first in order to obtain an identification number.  You must provide this number to Continental Testing Services when registering to take the exam. If you do not obtain an ID number, you WILL NOT be scheduled for examination.  Please be sure to register on both sites.

Is there only one time during the year to register for the FE/EIT exam?
Registration for the FE exam is offered both semesters. If you plan to take the exam in the Fall, you must register in the Fall (the same for the Spring). Notification for the semester registration is distributed usually around the beginning of September (for the Fall exam) and around the beginning of February (for the Spring exam).

When would be the best time to take the Exam? Should I take it in the Fall or Spring?
It doesn't matter what semester you take the exam, as long as you take it within a calendar year of your graduation. For example, if you were to graduate in Fall (December) 2012, you would take the exam either Spring (April) 2012 or Fall (October) 2012. If you were to graduate in August 2012,  take the exam either Fall (October) 2011 or Spring (April) 2012.

What are the exam dates for the upcoming year?

Below is a list of the exams for the next couple of years:

2012 - April 14; October 27
2013 - April 13; October 26
2014 - April 12; October 25

What is the difference between registering through Continental Testing vs. IDPR (Illinois Department of Professional Regulation)?
Continental Testing is only authorized to handle registration of senior undergraduates in an ABET-accredited curriculum (including chemical and agricultural engineering, excluding computer science and engineering physics) who are taking the exam for the first time.

Undergraduates who are more than one year away from graduation must wait until they are within one year of graduation to take the exam. Please make sure you are within one year of graduating. If you do not graduate withing one year, you will be required to retake the exam.  The IDFPR does not allow extensions for any reason.  

Graduate students must register directly through IDPR because the department needs to verify their undergraduate credentials and eligibility through a separate application process. The IDPR deadlines are significantly earlier than Continental Testings: November for the April test date and May for the October test date.
Alumni and professors and anyone else who is no longer a University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign student must also register through the IDPR, using the same procedure as graduate students.

Can I sign up for the PE Exam through Continental Testing?
No. Continental Testing is not authorized to handle registration for the PE exam. Engineers must register directly with the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation (IDPR) at 217/782-8556. The deadline is typically by the middle of November for the April exam and the middle of May for the October exam. The PE exam is administered on Friday and the FE on Saturday, so a person with the proper qualifications may take sit for both exams in the same weekend and obtain a PE license.

If I failed the test before, how do I register?
Students who are retaking the FE exam need to use their test results to reschedule. Follow instructions on your test results sheet and make special arrangements through the Continental Testing Service to sit for the exam a second time.

What if a student changes his/her mind or something comes up and they do not want to take the test?
It is up to the student to contact CTS. CTS can carry over fees for the next exam, but NO REFUNDS. Once admission letters are sent out, CTS will not reschedule test for a student unless it's an emergency. The week of the exam CTS cannot do anything.

What can The Grainger College of Engineering do for a student after registration?
The Grainger College of Engineering is responsible only for notice of registration. Room reservations and admission tickets (notifying students where the exam will be) are all handled directly by CTS, so refer all related questions and registration confirmation questions to them.

If I miss the registration times, can I still sign up for the exam?
Unfortunately, no. If a person misses an exam, then they will have to sign up the next semester. If you are graduating the semester you missed the exam, then you need to contact Illinois Department of Regulation as soon as possible and sign up for next semester's exam through that department. Once you graduate, you cannot sign up for registration through The Grainger College of Engineering. If you still in school the next semester, then you can sign up through The Grainger College of Engineering.

Questions Concerning the Mechanics of the Exam

Where can I sign up for review courses?
Both ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) and ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) offer review courses and sell review books. ASCE usually offers both the course and book both in the Fall and Spring, while ASME typically sells the book in the Fall and offers the book and the review course in the Spring.

Where can I get review booklets for this exam?
These review booklets can be purchased from ASCE or ASME. You may also purchase study materials from NCEES.

When will I receive notice of when and where the exam will be?
CTS is responsible for sending information to students that sign up for the exam. They usually send out letters ten to fourteen days before the exam date (call CTS if you have not received your letter).

What will I need to bring to the exam?

Identification: You must present a photo ID along with your admission notice to be admitted into the examination room. The only acceptable photographic identification is a Driver's License, Secretary of State card, or a current passport. If the name on your photo ID is different from that on your admission notice, you must provide proof of legal name change.


  • Only non-communicating, non-programmable, battery or light-operated, silent, non-printing calculators are permitted during the examination.

  • Each calculator must operate from an independent power source. No spare batteries, cords or access to electrical outlets will be provided to candidates; bring your own spare batteries or an additional calculator.

  • Laptop computers, graphic calculators, the HP48GX or similar calculators are NOT permitted.

  • Devices or materials that might compromise the security of the examination process are NOT permitted.

  • Calculators with word processing capabilities are NOT permitted.

  • A simple scientific calculator is recommended. DO NOT bring any device to the test that does not meet these requirements.

Post-Exam Questions

I signed up for the FE exam through Continental Testing and have taken the exam. I received a letter stating that I have to pay $20.00 for a certificate and send them a transcript. What should I do?
You need to pay the $20.00 for the certificate and provide them with an official transcript. Four to five months after you graduate, you should contact the Department of Regulation just to make sure they received your transcript.

Who do I contact if I have not received my results from the Exam, or if I moved and need to forward someone my new address?
Contact the Illinois Department of Regulation. They handle test results and address changes.

What if I don't graduate within one year of taking the test? What should I do?
You will need to retake the exam. The IDFPR does not allow extensions for any reason. The Grainger College of Engineering can not intervene because this is a Illinois Department of Regulation policy.


Spring 2017 Review Session

ASME is hosting a review course designed to help students prepare for the FE Exam this semester for the April/May testing window. Review books by Kaplan will also be offered at a discounted price. 

Course Sign-ups and Book Orders:

•Tuesday (1/31) through Friday (2/3) from 12-4 PM

•First floor of ENGINEERING HALL

•Kaplan books offered for discounted price of $60

Review Sessions:

•9 weekly three-hour sessions

•Mondays from 7-10 PM starting February 6th until April 9

•Registration fee: $45


Contact Danny Socha

Important Contacts

Jen Sans
206 Engineering Hall, MC 272
1308 W. Green St.
Urbana, IL 61820

Continental Testing Services, Inc. (CTS)
Illinois Department of Professional Regulation (IDPR)

Professional Societies
Illinois Society of Professional Engineers (ISPE)
National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES)
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
American Society of Mechanical Engineers(ASME)

Please contact The Grainger College of Engineering Undergraduate Programs Office at if you have questions.

  • No labels